Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflection

a. The concept that I learned in this class that I believe will be the most useful and applicable to my understanding of the world would be Central Place Theory. Before this class, I had never known about, and probably had not even heard the words Central Place theory. This theory helps me understand why populations are drawn together through the market. It helps me understand why cities exist where they are, and how things work between them. It was also very interesting to learn about the hierarchy of places.

b. The topics I am interested in learning more about are the topics that Jared Diamond wrote about in his article New World and Old World: Differences. This article was very captivating to me because it answered a question that I hadn't even known had an answer. It delegitimizes scientific racism in one fell swoop.  I am eager to learn more on the subject, and have already added Guns, Germs, and Steel to my book list!

c. The advice that I would give a student considering taking this class to not think that it will be a reiteration of Econ 101, as I did. I thought that the content of the class would be just like that in 101, and while some of the course did overlap with 101, I quickly learned about more theories and concepts than I had expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment